Monday, June 3, 2013

It takes discipline to administer discipline

Traveling can be hard,
but so can parenting!
This post is about an issue that has been on my mind for several weeks -- discipline.

When I was on the road more for work, being a disciplinarian to my children when I was home was not a role I assumed heartily. I can say that now since I've gained some perspective.

No one wants to be the "heavy," so I can appreciate more now how difficult it was sometimes for my husband to watch as the household descended into utter chaos when I returned from a trip. That's somewhat exaggerated, but the idea is the same. Children do better with routine, and when someone favored pops in and out of the daily routine it's a disruption.

My husband was not then, and still is not the type, when pressed, to threaten the children with lines like, "Wait until your mother gets home!" When you think about it, that's not really a threat. It's an abdication of responsibility. It's an admission that the parent has lot control. I, on the other hand, found myself very often replying, "What did your father say?" when asked by one of our daughters for a treat or favor. Why couldn't I think for myself and act accordingly instead of putting pressure on him?

Hindsight!

Which brings me to the topic today. These days, my schedule allows me to see my children off to school every morning and to tuck them in every night. My husband and I have to be in agreement really every step of the way about timing and schedules if people are to be ready and on-time. It takes discipline to keep people in line. I can't waffle.

It's not easy, but many times these days, I have to be the heavy and let my husband be the "fun one."

No comments:

Post a Comment